Gain the skills and the knowledge in Designing Gardens in this short self-paced course.
Designing your own garden can be one of the most creative things that you ever do – producing a living sculpture that gives you years of enjoyment. The secret to good garden design is a plan and having the skills and knowledge to put your plan into fruition. Although this short course in Designing Gardens is a 20 hour self paced course, the breadth of material that is covered is great.
Work through the course at your own pace. Do as many or as few of the activities as you need to.
There are seventeen lessons in this course from a basic introduction
to garden design, to following a budget, plant selection, making the
garden meet the house, different designs and using different features to
complete your design.
As you progress through each lesson you will be provided with a range of
ways you can expand your learning. By choosing which tasks you do and
don't undertake you can expand in areas that interest you most, and skip
areas of less interest.
You won't miss anything important that you need to know about garden
design as long as you read the notes that are presented alongside these
"learn more" suggestions.
At the end of each lesson, you will be given a short interactive test to
undertake, which will provide an indication of how your learning is
progressing. Upon completing the very last lesson, you will be offered a
more thorough automated test or examination. This final assessment can
be undertaken at any time of day or night; and any day of the week; and
if you achieve an overall pass; you will be able to obtain a
"certificate of completion", which will have your name on it.
The Seventeen lessons in this course cover:
Lesson 1 INTRODUCTION TO GARDEN DESIGN
- Do it in Stages
- The Planning Process
- Design Process
- How to Design a Garden Room
- Garden Room Components – What to Put in Your Garden Room
- Designing a Garden for a New House
Lesson 2 APPROPRIATENESS OF GARDEN DESIGN
- Techniques for Keeping in Scale
- Importance of Space
- Garden Features for Small Gardens
Lesson 3 CREATING AN IMPACT
- Borrow from your neighbours Landscape to make your Garden seem Larger
- Bringing the Outside In
- Bringing the Garden Inside
Lesson 4 DESIGNING TO A BUDGET
- Working Out Your Budget
- Maintenance Costs
- The Plant Budget
- Selecting and Maintaining Your Tools
Lesson 5 CHOOSING PLANTS
- What Plant Variety
- Choosing Which Plant?
Lesson 6 USING THE GARDEN
- Outdoor living
- Garden Furniture
- Children Playing
- Make Gardens More User Friendly
Lesson 7 WHERE THE GARDEN MEETS THE HOUSE
- What to Do
- Practical Concerns
- Other Ways of Joining the Garden to the House
Lesson 8 MAKING THE WINTER GARDEN MORE COMFORTABLE
- Solutions for Slippery Surfaces
Lesson 9 GARDENS FOR CHILDREN
- Play Equipment for Different Ages
- Child proofing a Garden
- Play Equipment
Lesson 10 THE SECURE HOME AND GARDEN
- Security Screens, Doors, patrols, etc
- What type of Property is Vulnerable
Lesson 11 LIGHTING A GARDENG
- Why Light
- Types of Lights
- Lighting Techniques
- Aesthetics, Costs, etc
Lesson 12 DEALING WITH SHADE
- Trees to Create Shade
- Entertaining in a Shaded Garden
Lesson 13 GARDEN ART
- Choosing Garden Ornamentation
- Garden Sculpture
- Other Ornamentation
Lesson 14 POTS & PLANTERS
- Looking for Colourful Planters
- Using Colourful Pots
Lesson 15 COLOUR IN THE GARDEN
- Colours and Garden Styles
- Tips for Using Colour
- Seasonal Colour
- Tips for Year Round Colour
- How to Brighten a Winter Garden
Lesson 16 APPLICATIONS FOR COLOUR
- Ten Ways to Use Colour
- Colour Themes
Lesson 17 GARDEN FURNITURE
- Furnishing the Garden
- What Furniture does your Garden Need?
- Where to put Garden Furniture
- What to look for in Garden Furniture
- Washing Lines
- Poolside Furniture
- Final Assessment
• Enrol any time of day or night;
• Start studying immediately or later (as you wish)
• Configure your study sessions at any length and frequency you wish
• Work through at your own pace
• Help desk- contact our help desk here with the subject title: 'Help Desk Short Course'
• Automated self-assessment tests pop up at the end of each lesson.
You can attempt these as many times as you wish; and each time, upon
completion, you can see your results.
• At the end of the whole course, you are presented with a major
automated examination which can be attempted online, anywhere, anytime.
• If you achieve a 60% pass in the exam; you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of completion.
Example Pages from the Study Guide