Home > Short Courses
Fruit and Vegetables Short Course
The Fruit and Vegetable short course is a 20 hour short course that will give you the confidence and the knowledge to start your own fruit and vegetable garden at home. Get to know all of the in's and out's of growing fruit and vegetables at home, including the right plants to grow in your region.
This short course covers growing fruits, nuts, berries, vine crops, vegetables and mushrooms as well as the many techniques and expertise knowledge that you will be able to apply to your garden to ensure that you get the most out of your garden.
There are hundreds of different food plants that can be grown at home, ranging from fruits and vegetables to herbs, nuts, berries, vines, mushrooms and more.
There are optional activities and tasks that you can complete along
the way that can expand your knowledge in this area. At the end of each
lesson you will need to complete an online self assessment test. The
course will also conclude with a large comprehensive online exam. If you
achieve a mark over 60% for the exam, you will be awarded a Certificate
of Completion with your name on it.
This course covers 14 lessons:
Lesson 1: Food from the garden
- What can you produce in your garden?
Lesson 2: Deciding what to grow
Lesson 3: Successful growing
- Cold and the garden
- Different growing methodsWhere to get helpful information
Lesson 4: Fruits
- Introduction - fruit trees for all climates
- How to develop an espalier on a wall
- Good backyard fruit trees for a range of climates
Lesson 5: Deciduous fruit trees
- Winter chilling requirements
- Pests and diseases
- Deciduous fruit encyclopaedia
- Bare-rooted fruit trees
- Pruning deciduous fruit trees
Lesson 6: Citrus fruits
- Tolerance to different climates
- How to grow healthy citrus
- Citrus species
Lesson 7: Tropical fruits
Lesson 8: Berries
Lesson 9: Nuts
- Introduction to nut growing
- Commonly grown nuts
Lesson 10: Vine crops
Lesson 11: Using produce
- What to do with excess fruit
Lesson 12: Vegetables
- Why grow vegetables?
- The site
- Choosing what to grow
- Feeding and watering
- Planning the cropping programme
- Pests and diseases of vegetables
Lesson 13: Mushrooms
- Four easy steps to growing mushrooms
Lesson 14: Special growing techniques
- Growing produce in containers
- Permaculture gardening
- More special growing techniques
- Enrol any time of day or night
- Start studying immediately or later (as you wish)
- Configure your study sessions at any length and frequency you wish
- Work through at your own pace
- Help desk- contact our help desk here with the subject title: 'Help Desk Short Course'
self assessment tests pop up at the end of each lesson. You can attempt
these as many times as you wish; and each time, upon completion, you
can see your results.
- At the end of the whole course, you
are presented with a major automated examination which can be attempted
online, anywhere, anytime
- If you achieve a 60% pass in the exam; you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of completion with your name on it
What will you get from this course?
You will learn how to grow your own fruits and vegetables using
different growing techniques; learn permaculture gardening; hydroponics;
basic requirements for each type of plant, adequate light, soil and
Example Pages from the Study Guide
Write a Review
Please ensure you are logged in to write a review.
Fruit and Vegetables Short Course