Dogs can get bored of eating the same food and treats all the time, and it is nice to treat them to something different. Well, did you know dogs can particularly enjoy peanut butter!! Of course, peanut butter should always be fed in moderation but it does actually contain protein, vitamin B and E, alongside healthy fats. It can make a tasty reward, or be placed inside kongs or toys for some mental stimulation.
Along with all its goodness, it is always important to read the ingredients to ensure it is safe for your dog. Some peanut butter, not all, contain the potentially deadly ingredient Xylitol.
This ingredient is poisonous to dogs and can be found in some items such as; peanut butter, chocolate, toothpaste, chewing gum and yoghurts.
Xylitol is basically a sugar substitute and can be found in many sugar-free ranges. It is fine for human consumption, however it is potentially deadly to dogs. Consuming Xylitol can cause Hypoglycemia in dogs and can occur very rapidly. Signs which may indicate Xylitol poisoning in dogs can include:
Symptoms can begin from fifteen minutes after the ingestion of Xylitol. If a dog has consumed food which contains this ingredient, veterinary attention must be immediate.
Of course, there are other factors to consider when feeding dogs peanut butter. Likewise to humans, the healthier options of unsalted and organic should be considered.
So, peanut butter can be considered a moderate treat for your dog, just remember and always check the label for the ingredient Xylitol!!
If you want to know more about caring for your Dog or other pet, have a look at our great selection of eBooks and Short Courses, including:
Caring For Dogs eBook
Dog Owner Short Course